We’ve researched the following ways to make extra money to confirm that they’re legitimate. Many of these strategies have been put to the test by Team Clark and even money expert Clark Howard himself.To learn more about these side gigs, click on one of the links in our table of contents or keep scrolling for the full list…
Table of Contents
Quick and Easy Ways to Make Extra Money
- Find Missing Money in Your Name
- Earn Cash Back for Your Shopping
- Swagbucks: Watch Videos, Take Surveys and Surf the Web
- Share Your Opinions and Make $75/Hour or More!
- Become a Food Tester
- Wrap Your Car in Advertising
- Take Advantage of a Credit Card Sign-Up Bonus
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Open a New Bank Account for an Easy $200
Make Extra Money Working From Home
- Amazon Mechanical Turk
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Earn $5 (or More) at a Time With Fiverr
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Become a Freelance Writer
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Sell Your Unwanted Stuff
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Resell Items From T.J. Maxx, Ross and Burlington
Extra Money From Side Hustles With Flexible Schedules
- Run Errands or Help Someone With Their To-Do List
- Charge Bird or Lime-S Electric Scooters While You Sleep
- Donate Plasma and Make Up to $400/month
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Rover: Start Your Own Pet Sitting Business
- Drive for Uber or Lyft (Clark Tried It!)
- Food Delivery: UberEats, GrubHub, DoorDash and Postmates
- Deliver Groceries for Instacart or Shipt
- Make Deliveries for Amazon Flex
- Rent Out Your Home With Airbnb
- 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Rent Out Your Car With Turo
Quick and Easy Ways to Make Extra Money
1. Find Missing Money in Your NameWhen’s the last time you checked to see if there’s missing money in your name? A quick search of and/or could lead to a surprise payday! Just enter your name and state to find unclaimed property, money and assets. It only takes a few seconds! Unclaimed money from bank accounts, insurance policies, rental and utility deposits, safe deposit boxes and other places make up the billions of dollars sitting with state governments. Here are just a few examples of the specific types of unclaimed money out there:
- A check you forgot to cash
- Money left in an inactive bank account
- A rebate check mailed to an old address
Learn more about some other ways to find and claim missing money in your name!
2. Earn Cash Back for Your ShoppingSometimes you have to spend money to make money. There are a handful of popular cash back apps that will reward you for buying things that are probably already in your grocery shopping cart.
With the Ibotta app, earning extra cash is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Add offers to your account
- Buy those items at the grocery store
- Upload your receipt
In addition to Ibotta, you can also turn grocery receipts into cash with .
For online purchases, try sites like Rakuten (formerly Ebates) and 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:TopCashback that give you cash back for starting your shopping with them. Walmart, , , Best Buy and 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Macy’s are just a few of the participating brands.Many of the apps and websites we’ve listed also offer sign-up and referral bonuses of up to $10 each. That’s easy money!
3. Swagbucks: Watch Videos, Take Surveys and Surf the Web
Swagbucks is a way to earn free gift cards and Team Clark knows for sure that it’s NOT a scam!Like some of the cash back apps that we previously mentioned, Swagbucks awards users points for online shopping. But it’s different because you can also get rewards for searching the web, watching videos and taking surveys. You can then redeem those points for cash back from PayPal or gift cards to retailers such as Amazon, Walmart and Target.
4. Participate in a Focus GroupYou can get paid to share your thoughts and opinions — not a bad deal. A member of Team Clark has made $250 over the course of one month by participating in focus groups that he found through . Once you register online, you’ll get emails with surveys to help you qualify for paid focus groups with Focus Pointe Global. The studies are conducted at the company’s 20 facilities nationwide and online. Our team member most recently was part of a 36-member panel that viewed TV commercials and answered multiple-choice questions about them. He received a $75 Visa gift card for an hour’s worth of work, though many studies pay $150 or more.
5. Become a Food TesterCalling all foodies! Did you know that you can make money by participating in taste tests? Chelsea Glass, a member of Team Clark, has worked with (CTI) and a couple of other companies that have paid her to eat! She says registration is easy and you can start making money in no time. “The process is pretty straightforward: You fill out a questionnaire (either online or over the phone since sometimes they call you if they need to fill open slots) and if you qualify for the taste test you simply pick one of the available time slots,” Chelsea says. “You never know which fast food/restaurant you’re going to be tasting until you arrive and begin the taste test.” After the taste test is over, you collect your payment immediately. Chelsea says she’s received cash and gift cards, usually with a payout of around $40. The most she earned from a single taste test was $75.
Another Team Clark member makes money with 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Market Force, a mystery shopping site that focuses a lot on restaurants.
6. Wrap Your Car in Advertisingturns your commute into cash by paying you to wrap your car in advertising for their clients. Honorary Team Clark member Joel Larsgaard tested it out and says he made $200 after about three months.
Joel drives very little since he bikes to work, so he thinks this side hustle is best for those with longer commutes. 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Read more here.
Another Team Clark member, Christopher, makes an average of $71 by advertising on his car using . You can 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:read his review of Stickr.co here.
7. Take Advantage of a Credit Card Welcome Bonus
If you have a good credit score, signing up for a new credit card is an easy way to make extra money.
For example, you can earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express within the first six months of the card opening.That bonus is in addition to the 6% cash back you earn in U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits. Terms apply. When you start to look at credit cards with annual fees — particularly travel cards — you may be able to pay for an entire vacation with sign-up bonuses worth $500 to $1,000.
Clark says rewards credit cards only make sense for people who avoid interest charges by always paying their balance in full every month. Read his philosophy before you apply for a new card.
RELATED: Best Rewards Credit Cards: Team Clark’s Picks
8. Open a New Bank Account
Don’t want a new credit card? You may be able to earn a couple hundred bucks by signing up for a new bank account. Team Clark member Theo Thimou has researched this topic and found that you can earn $200 or more by opening up a checking or savings account with traditional banks like Chase, Citi, HSBC, SunTrust and Wells Fargo. Discover is one of the online banks that also regularly has a $200 bonus if you deposit $25,000 into a savings account. Not all bank bonuses require such large deposits, but most of them do make you take extra steps like setting up direct deposit, using your debit card a certain number of times and maintaining a minimum monthly balance to avoid a fee. You should only take advantage of one of these offers if you know that you can jump through all of the hoops to get the bonus. It’s also a good idea to keep a copy of the promotional offer that you got in the mail as proof in case the bank doesn’t automatically award the bonus after you’ve met the terms.
RELATED: Best Online Banks: Free Checking and High-Interest Savings Accounts
Make Extra Money Working From Home
9. Amazon Mechanical Turk
If you want to work from home on your own schedule, 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) is an online platform where businesses post various micro-jobs that workers can complete for a small cash reward.MTurk refers to the micro-jobs as Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs). The time commitment and the pay rate for each HIT can vary significantly — most don’t require any special skills. Here are a few examples of the tasks that workers can complete on MTurk:
- Surveys for academic research
- Identify objects in a photo or video
- Transcribe audio recordings
- Research data details
A member of Team Clark challenged himself to complete 30 jobs in 30 days through MTurk. Although some tasks paid only pennies, he was able to work fast enough to earn an average of $7.30 an hour.He spent most of his time completing surveys and found the best HITs are posted during regular business hours. Check out our library of MTurk articles:
- Work From Home: How I Made My First $100 With MTurk
- MTurk Review: How to Make Money Online With Amazon Mechanical Turk
- How to Earn $20,000 doing small jobs from home with MTurk
If you enjoy typing to make extra money from home, also look into becoming a transcriptionist or captioner for . Since Team Clark member Dallas started captioning videos on Rev, she’s managed to earn just under $3,000. You can 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:read her review here.
10. Earn $5 (or More) at a Time With Fiverr
Become a seller on 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Fiverr.com and join the growing community of freelancers who offer professional services like graphic design, resume writing, data entry, voice over and more.You can work as little or as much as you want and set your price at $5 per gig or higher — up to $10,000.
11. Become a Freelance Writer
If writing is one of your key strengths, there are always plenty of writing and editing jobs that you can do from the comfort of your own home.
Job titles include content writer, copy supervisor, technical writer, food blogger and financial writer.
We reached out to the job experts at FlexJobs and they told us the pay range can vary widely, with more technical or expert-level writing positions paying the most.
Some writing jobs pay per hour and others pay per article. Here are some examples from FlexJobs:
- Digital Copywriter: $25 to $35 per hour
- Copywriter, Editor: $15 to $18 per hour
- Writer: $50 to $100 per article
- Copywriter: $27 per hour
- Copywriter: Up to $30 per hour
- Technical Writer: $26 to $33 per hour
- Content Strategist: $55 to $65 per hour
- Psychiatric Nurse – Content Writer, Editor: $40 per hour
Here are four things you need to know before you sign up for FlexJobs.
12. Sell Your Unwanted StuffHave a lot of clutter around the house? If a yard sale isn’t really your thing, eBay and Craigslist are two places to list used items for sale, including furniture, clothing, electronics and toys.
More recently, apps like OfferUp, and have become popular tools to sell your unwanted stuff.
Sell Just About Anything
Sell Your Old Electronics
Sell Your Old Clothes
If you have a lot of items to unload, Katy Wolk-Stanley of shared with wasabisushigrill.com how she uses Craigslist as part of her winning strategy to make the most money at her yard sales.
Before you list anything for sale, check out this article on all the ways to sell your old stuff for the most money.
13. Resell Items From T.J. Maxx, Ross and Burlington
This may be a little risky, but there are people who make a living by purchasing items at discount stores (, , , etc.) and turn around to sell them on eBay.
Glen Zubia, pictured above, told wasabisushigrill.com that he paid off $50,000 of debt by becoming a reseller.He says that people just starting out as resellers should focus on what they know. Glen buys a lot of things, but his interest in sneakers has helped him spot the best deals when he’s shopping. If you’re interested in becoming a reseller, where he shares lots of tips and tricks.
Extra Money From Side Hustles With Flexible Schedules
14. Run Errands or Help Someone With Their To-Do ListYou can make quick cash by helping someone else check off odd jobs on their to-do list.
15. Charge Bird or Lime-S Electric ScootersHas your city been taken over by and electric scooters? Whether you like them or hate them, you can make easy money by charging them at your house while you sleep! Here’s how it works:
- Drive around in your car and collect low-battery scooters
- Bring them home to charge overnight
- Release them the next day and get paid for your work
16. Donate Plasma
Another way to make cash on the side is by donating plasma that’s used to create life-saving medicines around the world. Joel says he gave plasma roughly 15 times during his college years to earn extra money — a process that took about 90 minutes each visit. Here’s how , a U.S.-based company with more than 80 centers nationwide, explains plasma donation:
“Donating plasma is similar to giving blood. A trained staff member called a phlebotomist puts a sterile needle in your arm vein to draw blood. The blood is then cycled through special, sterile equipment that separates plasma from the other parts of your blood. Your plasma is then collected in a container, while the other parts are safely returned to your body. This process is called plasmapheresis.”How much money do you get for donating plasma? says donors can make up to $400 a month.
17. Rover: Start Your Own Pet Sitting BusinessIf you love dogs and cats, pet sitting is a side job where animal lovers can make an extra $1,000 or more every month. For those who don’t already have clients, the online service can help you build your business. Two members of Team Clark have experience with Rover, which connects sitters with clients who need pet sitting and dog walking services. Sitters can set their own rates, but Rover takes a 20% cut. One of our team members has charged $66 a night for two dogs.
When you’re just starting out, you’ll want to charge clients a little bit less than the other sitters. You’ll be able to increase your earnings potential over time as you get more 5-star reviews. Dog boarding services are typically in high demand on weekends and holidays when people are traveling.
18. Drive for Uber or Lyft
If you want to earn money on your own schedule, driving for ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft is another option to consider.Clark signed up as a driver for both services a few years ago to try them out. He didn’t make a lot of money, although your earnings potential can vary, but he says it’s an opportunity to supplement an existing income or for the unemployed to bring income in. Both companies frequently offer guarantees for new drivers, like earning several hundred dollars for the first 100 or so trips.
19. Food Delivery: , GrubHub, andIf you don’t like the idea of having other people in your car, all of the big restaurant takeout delivery apps are hiring like crazy!
GrubHub is one of the major players in the food delivery space. The company says its drivers earn a competitive wage, keep 100% of their tips and the hours are flexible.Vehicle requirements for food delivery services are usually more lenient than Uber or Lyft and allow drivers to use older cars. If you’re interested in earning money as a food delivery person, check out our reviews:
- DoorDash Driver Review: How Much Money Can You Make?
- Grubhub Driver Review: How Much Money Can You Make?
- Postmates Driver Review: How Much Money Can You Make?
20. Deliver Groceries for Instacart or Shipt
If you know your way around the grocery store, you can get paid to shop and deliver groceries by working as an independent contractor for 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Instacart or Shipt.The competing services both let shoppers set their own schedules and pay weekly.
How much does it pay? Team Clark member, Dallas, tried out Shipt herself to find out. She earned around $15-$22 hourly, but this can vary based on where you live and when you work. To learn more about being a Shipt shopper, check out her review here.Shipt and Instacart shoppers must have a reliable vehicle and a smartphone to start working.
21. Make Deliveries for Amazon Flex
22. Rent Out Your Home with AirbnbHave you ever thought about becoming an host? If you have a home or room where you can host travelers, this is one of the best ways to earn hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month. According to a tool on Airbnb’s website, an Atlanta homeowner could earn $900 a month by turning a private room into an Airbnb.
RELATED: How to Make Money Renting Your Home on AirbnbWith Airbnb, homeowners can list their space and set whatever price they want. Hosts are generally charged a flat 3% per reservation. Homeowners are paid promptly after guests check in.
Paula Pant of told us she made $28,000 in one year as an Airbnb host. Read her list of pros and cons!
23. Rent Out Your Car With TuroIf you’re not comfortable renting out your house on Airbnb, rent out your car with what’s been called the “Airbnb for cars.” is a peer-to-peer car sharing marketplace. For owners, it provides the opportunity to list your vehicle for free and earn 65% to 85% of the trip price when it’s rented. Insurance protection is included.
Making extra money is just one path to improving your financial picture. You’ll be able to reach your goals faster if you increase your income and reduce your expenses at the same time. 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Here’s our guide to getting started.Team Clark’s mission is to help you save more and spend less every day — and we also want you to avoid scams. When you’re researching any of the ways to make extra cash that we’ve shared, be 100% sure that you’re visiting the company’s official website. We’ve provided links to most of them in this article. These side hustles won’t make you rich, so anyone promising that you’ll earn $500 a day working from home is a scammer.
If you’re unsure about whether a job opportunity is real or fake, contact 耀竣金融配资_在线配资炒股:Team Clark’s free Consumer Action Center.
Do you know about a legitimate way to make money that we should add to our list? Tell us in the comments below!